ISGJ Today

Filed under News, Showcase

Custodial staff remodel MPR to launch cafeteria

During spring break, workers at ISG Jubail remodeled the stage area in the multipurpose room so that it can be used as a cafeteria service area. / Photo illustration: Netzler

Above are a few anticipated menu items and their approximate prices. (Item options and prices are subject to change.) / Illustration: Netzler

Beginning with a remodeling of the stage area in the multipurpose room during spring break, ISG Jubail administrators have begun the process of slowly launching a cafeteria service.

Now that the space is created, the installation of a cafeteria service area will continue in April, and school administrators are aiming for delivery of lunch items beginning in May.

The reason for the slow launch is that there are many details that need to be worked out, including the timing of lunch for elementary, middle and high school students, and the arrangement of payment systems.

“We need to test the logistics so that it will work seamlessly,” said Russell Rein, ISG Jubail Director of Operations.

Service will be limited initially to items that the catering company will be able to provide easily and sell easily, such as sandwiches, salads, and a hummus plate. Next year the plan is to expand the menu to include some hot food items. Prices will range from 1-2 SAR for water and juice to 3-10 SAR for sandwiches, salads and bakery.

The catering company that will be contracted by the school has done business with entities such as the Royal Commission, Saudi Aramco, Sadara, SABIC and SWCC.

Running a cafeteria has been one of the biggest requests from the parent community, and school administrators have worked to find a catering company that is willing to commit to school cafeteria service. A couple companies have been close to committing but have ended up backing out, such as Subway two years ago.

Other challenges that school officials have negotiated include working within limited space of the current school building, and operating within the Royal Commission license.

Aiming to offer healthy options for students is a top priority. “The health component is really important to us,” said Dan Mock, ISG Jubail head principal.

Jon Netzler, Advisor

This year at ISG Jubail I teach four courses: English 9, American Literature, British Literature, and Journalism. I will also be coordinating and advising...